Looking for help making your workplace secure? See our free Risk Assessment here. 

Fire Risk Assessment

When it comes to keeping your business compliant, Fire Risk Assessments are a legal requirement. Not only do they keep you on the right side of the law, but they're an essential part of keeping you, your employees and your business safe.

Take a look through some of our frequently asked questions and find out how we can help you.

What is a Fire Risk Assessment?

Fire risk assessments were introduced as part of the Fire Regulatory Reform Act in 2005. Introduced by the government the act aims to improve fire safety in the workplace and all public premises.

Do I need a Fire Risk Assessment?

Yes. It is a lawful requirement if you have a HMO (House of Multiple Occupancy) property or any business premises which employs 5 or more people, including part time staff, or you have members of the general public in the premises.

Good to know - every business is required to have a "responsible person" to monitor the compliance and fire safety.

How will it help me?

If you fall into the criteria above you are required to have an assessment by law. It helps you to identify any risks and you to manage your environment as well as keeping your managers, staff and members of the public safe.

What are the risks if I don't have a Fire Risk Assessment?

Yes. If you do not have an official Fire risk assessment and you’re unlucky enough to suffer damage as a result of a fire your insurance company could refuse to pay. You could also face prosecution if your local enforcing authority conduct an audit of your premises and consider it to be unsafe.

How do I arrange one?

A qualified assessor will visit your premises to understand your business and building; before compiling a detailed report. The length of visit depends on the size of you premises however we typically advise between 1 and 3 hours.

How can HS Direct help?

We have fully qualified advisors who can carry out a Fire Risk Assessment at a time that’s convenient for you.

Do I need to do anything?

No. All we ask is that the "Responsible Person" you have appointed be available when we visit and we have access to all areas of the building.

What do I receive?

You will receive an insurance approved document (PAS79). We will also include any recommendations that we feel will be helpful.

I have a Fire Risk Assessment. Do I need to renew it every year?

No, but you are advised to review it regularly. It is your responsibility to keep the document updated with any changes to staffing, the premises or type of work carried out. If you do need to make any changes we have a dedicated team who offer ongoing help and support.

Let us help. Give our experts a call on 0345 241 5250 or fill out the contact form here and we’ll call you back.

We'll Call You Back

By submitting this form, you agree to our terms and conditions available here.