What is CHAS?
CHAS stands for the Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme. It is one of the most popular health and safety assessment schemes (and a member of SSIP) in the UK and is used to demonstrate health and safety competence and compliance to a wide range of buyers including many of the UK’s largest construction, utilities and businesses.
There are three levels of CHAS Accreditation:
- Standard (including SSIP)
- Advanced (meets PAS91 Requirements)
- Elite (Common Assessment Standard)
It is important to know that if you already hold an SSIP from another body such as SMAS or SafeContractor then this can be used to deem to satisfy the core H&S requirements of your CHAS application (and reduce your costs!).
HS Direct can help you become CHAS accredited.
Applying for CHAS accreditation can be a daunting task, or maybe you simply can't find the time to go through the application yourself? As a minimum you’ll be asked about:
- Your Health and Safety policy & arrangements
- Risk assessments and method statements
- Welfare provision
- Competent Health & Safety advice
- H&S and trade specific training and qualifications
- Accident reporting and investigation
- Workforce involvement
- Subcontractor management
- Coordinating works and the Construction & Design Management (CDM) regulations
If you are applying for CHAS Advanced or Elite then you’ll also need to demonstrate systems and procedures in place to deal with other areas including supply chain, environmental and quality management plus data protection and equal opportunities compliance.
Getting the right help can make the process much easier.
How can HS Direct help your business achieve CHAS accreditation?
We provide a dedicated accreditation service using Consultants experienced in the CHAS & SSIP accreditation process. Backed up by our industry leading software solutions and qualified Health & Safety and Employment Law Consultants they can make the accreditation process quick and hassle free.
What is included?
Included in our service for a CHAS Application:
- We will complete your CHAS application form
- We will assist you to collate all the required evidence for a successful application
- We’ll provide you with the appropriate policies, procedures and template documents needed to achieve accreditation
- Where you do not have the appropriate H&S systems in place we will assist you in putting this into place using our Safety First Package
Our consultants will advise you what training you should carry out to ensure your Health and Safety knowledge is kept up to date.
What do you need to do?
There are a few things we need you to do to ensure success with your CHAS accreditation:
- Register with CHAS and pay their fees
- Provide Company specific information and documents (e.g. insurance certificates and trade qualifications)
- Review any policies and procedures we produce for you
- Complete business specific templates such as site audit forms
By working together you’ll be accredited in no time!